How To Do High Cable Curl (One Arm High Cable Curl)
High Cable Curl is an effective exercise for building the biceps.
If you want a nice peaked shape on your biceps, this is one of the best exercises you can do.
High Cable Curl is best done as a finisher in a biceps exercise rotation.
You should not lift heavy with High Cable Curl because to get the most benefit out of this exercise your focus should be on contraction and extension.
High Cable Curl How To
- Set the handle of a cable pulley machine at a height where your hand will be at shoulder level at the top position.
- Take an underhand grip on the pulley handle and move a few steps to the side to create tension on the cable.
- Assume a shoulder width stance and tighten your core. Keep a slight bend in your elbow. Place your free hand on the hip for support.
- Take a deep breath, exhale then flex at the elbow. Contract the biceps and curl the handle toward your shoulder. Squeeze the biceps as hard as you can.
- Resist the weight on the way back to starting position.
- Once you have completed the targeted number of reps, switch arms and repeat the exercise. Perform the exact number of reps.
Form and Technique
Always maintain a slight bend on the elbow. This helps keep constant tension on the biceps and prevents over-extension of the elbow. Keep the elbow in place.
Because of the unilateral nature of this exercise, you should keep your core tight to accommodate shifts in body weight and to protect the lower back.
Routine for Strength: 3 sets x 12-15 reps
Routine for Muscle Gains: 4-5 sets x 6-8 reps